Pages

Thursday, May 4, 2017

The Star Spangled Socks

    On Tuesday the varsity track team was required to help out with the junior high meet. I don't really mind because it means a day off from practice and it's fun to watch the meet. Ryan was competing and so Claire and I went to watch him throw discus. He did well and beat his personal record.
    While we were waiting to watch him throw javelin I noticed a boy wearing star spangled socks. Allow me to describe them to you because they truly were just that. They came up past his ankles and declared American Pride to all nearby. One sock looked like a candy cane while the other was covered in blue stars. I pointed it out to Micah who was there to support Ryan.  
    As I was looking at them (and privately wishing I owned them) I recalled a picture Emily had showed me a few days prior which I will share with you:

    It made me wonder since there was no American flag down by the field where the javelins were being thrown, if the national anthem was played, would we turn and face his socks?
    To occupy ourselves in between Ryan's throws, Micah and I made grass javelin's and threw them as far as we could. The wind resistance seemed to be a significant issue. However, we carried on with our game. Micah's went much farther than mine, but most of mine did go forward, so I was pleased.
    We would glance up to watch the competition now and again and I noticed that the boy with the star spangled socks did exceedingly well. Maybe those were his lucky socks. I don't believe items will bring you luck. However, I do believe that if you think they do, then they might help you. The mind is a powerful tool.
    I caught myself thinking about his star spangled socks even later into the evening and couldn't help giving him a bit of credit for being so bold as to wear those socks to the meet. I applaud the star spangled boy and his socks.


Until Next Time,
    Katherine Rose

2 comments:

  1. While those socks made your day, your post made mine! Thank you for the laugh you gave me and I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post! Thanks for the smiles!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by and left a comment. I enjoy reading what you have to say and hope to hear from you again soon.