Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Board Games

    Some special memories come from board games.
    As a child my favorite game was Candy Land. Claire and I would play that game all the time. We would pick our favorite characters on the board and pretend to be them.
    Claire's favorite was the gorgeous Queen Frostine. I loved her too, but of course Claire and I couldn't have the same favorite character and so instead my favorite character had to be Princess Lolly.
    Shoots and Ladders is another game that played a role in my childhood, but not for the same reason.
    As a child Claire was a complete optimist and I was not. Not often would we play Shoots and Ladders, but on rare occasions we would settle down with the board game and play. I don't think I ever won that game; not once.
    I accused Claire of cheating, because I never won! I got mad at the board game because every time I went down a shoot (which was quite often) they came up with a very offensive explanation. "You ate all the cookies in the cookies jar," The space would say accusingly. "Go down a shoot!" I would spend most of the game arguing that I would never do such a thing.
    Most games went unfinished because I would run away crying. Claire says she remembers sitting with the board game alone finishing up the game for both of us, because I had left. I still look at that game with disgust and refuse to play.
    Another fabulous board game is Scrabble the classic word game. It's such a beautiful idea, but no one seems to share with me in this joy. I rarely get to play Scrabble, just because none of my friends like it and none of my family members appreciate it.
    Sometimes, I can rope Jane into playing, but even so she doesn't really like it.
    A wonderful game to play with friends is Apples to Apples. Playing with adjectives and nouns, this beautifully pieced together game is always enjoyable. Whenever a friend is over and we have time to spare I like to pull out this game and play.
    Board games are great ways to take a break from the day and relax. Some might think that these games are slowly becoming outdated and overtaken by apps and virtual video games, but board games are different they allow me to bond with the person I am playing with in ways that electronics never can.

Until Next Time,
    Katherine Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by and left a comment. I enjoy reading what you have to say and hope to hear from you again soon.