Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

A Few Stops Along the Way

    We left the camper park early in an attempt to hurry off. The race to get back officially started, but Dad and Mom decided we weren't going to rush and so we stopped off at that National park again, Mesa Verde, this time in the day time.
    We didn't buy tickets for a tour, but we drove around the park for a little while and in the day light everything seemed a lot different. There was a lot of fire damage.
    We Drove along the road until we saw the houses built into rock. This is my favorite one that we saw.
    It was neat to see how a village like that survived. We left and drove for awhile. I read some more history to the whole family -aloud, which Claire and Jane certainly did not appreciate.
    Then we came to the Great Sand Dunes.
    From far away, this is the beautiful view we had out our window.
    As we got closer the sand seemed to grow and the mountain in the background was no longer even visible.

    We marched out to those sand dunes and nearly got eaten alive by bugs, but by the time we made it to first dune the wind was whipping and carrying all the bugs away. We didn't have a problem with them until we started walking back.
    When we realized we could have the dogs on the sand dunes, Mom and Claire ran back to get the two more fit dogs (that means not Rosie). The wind and sand blew in Sparky's face and pushed his ears back so he looked like a courageous warrior, until I carried him, but when I put him down again he resumed his position.
    As we left I took a picture of the sign for you guys.
    I liked the fact that it looked like it was made out of sand. I thought that was very creative and a great way to make a sign for Great Sand Dunes.
    We drove on and I read on and everyone learned a little bit more, against some peoples will. :)
    Along the way, we stopped to take the dogs out and walk them around. To the left of our car was a gorgeous view. Across the highway the sun was setting behind a mountain, creating a halo of gold for the mountain.
    One thing I can say about Colorado, their sunsets are beautiful. We drove on late into the night and I did a little silent reading. I think Mom was sick and tired of my history, but she told me I had read enough for today. She was probably right anyway.
    We passed through a city and all the tiny lights in the dark were just so pretty I couldn't resist taking a picture.
    The day ended in a similar manner, with the whole family exhausted. Claire and I talked a bit about soccer after we tucked in, because I was and am really excited about the high school season. I am starting in as a freshman without a whole lot of soccer experience, but last year when Claire played they barely had enough for a team, so my chances of being on the field some are looking a little better.
    Then we closed our eyes and went to sleep.

Until Next Time,
    Katherine Rose







1 comment:

  1. The Great Sand Dunes look fantastic. You are getting some great sunset pictures. I am glad you are not going to rush your way home. Safe travels. Donna and Steve

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by and left a comment. I enjoy reading what you have to say and hope to hear from you again soon.