Pages

Friday, February 17, 2017

Another Driving Adventure

    Wednesday night, Claire and I drove up to youth group. The first time Claire drove there was the night she received her license and it proved to an exciting excursion. But now Claire's driving is old news and we have settled into a steady routine of driving to and from places with little to no hassle.
    After youth, Emily had asked us for a ride and of course we always enjoy a little company when we are driving, so all three of us climbed into the vehicle and headed homeward.
    However, sometime in between when we arrived at youth group and when we left, it had begun to snow. Snow blew by our windshield in giant gusts and it was becoming an enormous task just to see the road.
    Slowly, we crept home all three of us keeping a close watch on anything that could tell us we were still on the road. Our prayers muttered into the wind were swept up and carried to the heavens. We dipped down into town and the weather seemed to cease with all the houses guarding the road, the snow didn't blow as much. We took the rural road home and the trees sheltered us from the wind. We emerged from the trees into a world of white only about 2 miles from home.
    We strained our eyes trying to pick out shapes and things that could guide us. We climbed to the top of a hill and I stretched my head out the window in order to keep a close eye on the edge of the road. The snow slammed against the side of my face and a number of times it's motion grew so violent that I was forced to shut the window.
    We made the turn onto our dirt road and the snow was so bad that we could barely see anything. I began to see sprigs of grass in front of us and realized we were driving in the field.
    "We're in the field!" I cried alarmed. Emily, peering out her window, quickly agreed with me and Claire steered the car slowly back to the road. We made our way down the driveway, safe.
    Of course the snow was so terribly bad that Emily's father wasn't sure he could make it down our driveway and then back up again. Dad, Emily and I climbed back in the car to go and deliver Emily. We reached the top of the driveway prepared for the blizzard we had just left behind and the sky was clear.
    A few innocent snowflakes fell to the ground and the headlights lit up what seemed to be miles laid out in front of us. I couldn't believe my eyes. Emily and I sat there in disbelief.
    "It's kind of like those times when you have an amazing story." Emily commented. "And when you go to show someone, the proof is gone."
    I nodded slowly as we crawled along in the fresh snow. Later that night, I glanced out my window and was blessed by the sight of the moon glistening on the snow. Sparse streaks of clouds passed through the sky, but the night was clear. I blinked my eyes reminding myself our adventure wasn't simply a dream.


Until Next Time,
    Katherine Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by and left a comment. I enjoy reading what you have to say and hope to hear from you again soon.